Monday, June 27, 2011

Chapter 6 (False Dilemmas)

In Chapter 6, I read about False Dilemmas.  I found this useful because I felt as if I needed to get some extra information on this fallacy.  I was a little unclear about this before I read it.  In the book it says that a False Dilemma "Is a bad use of excluding possibilities where the "or" claim is false or implausible."  For example in the book they used an example of a husband and wife, arguing over cigars.  She tells him that he either gets rid of the expensive cigars or she'll have to get rid of the dog.  She made a valid argument but it wasn't a good one because he basically had no choice. Obviously they were not going to get rid of the dog so it had to be the cigars.
Another personal example of a False Dilemma would be:


Dad: We'll have to cut down on grocery shopping this month.

Mom: Why?



Dad: Well, either we cut the grocery shopping or we will not pay for the cable bill, and we cant live without cable.


This applies to everyday life because this kinds of things happen where you don't really have a choice, but you give a choice anyway, that you know wont happen.

1 comment:

  1. I really bought into your post on the false dilemma fallacy. Your description of it really helped me understand the fallacy even more after i had read the chapter. I also choose to write about false dilemmas but i feel you may have done a better job of it. I really liked your example of the subject it surely showed your knowledge of the topic. I totally agree with your closing statement and how you said it applies to every day life. You can always make fallacies a part in your daily life and it’s a routine most of us individuals practice.

    ReplyDelete